Name: Blathnaid McCabe
Type of Work/Specialism: Children & Families and Adults within various sectors
Telephone: 087 284 7787
CORU Registration Number: SW005622
Region/Location: Cavan, Monaghan, Meath, and Louth
Charge per hour: € 80
Description of relevant experience/profile: 20 years’ experience as a Social Worker. Experience includes:
- Assessment and interventions with children, adolescents experiencing early adverse experiences, trauma, mental health difficulties, behavioural and emotional difficulties, and disabilities.
- Extensive experience of providing family-based interventions. Leadership/Management/Healthcare and the Law training.
- Currently working in private practice as Psychotherapist and Social Work supervisor. Worked as Clinical Manager in Jigsaw (National Centre for Youth Mental Health).
- Previous experience as Principal Mental Health Social Worker in Mental Health Dept in Paediatric Hospital.
- Experience of working in Medical Social Work (Paediatric, Maternity and Adult). 10 years’ experience working in Child Sexual Abuse Unit (Assessment & Therapy services).
- 10 years+ experience of providing supervision to social workers (senior and main grade).
- Extensive experience of supervision, management and working directly with children, adults, and families using a variety of modalities (for example, Psychodynamic, Systemic).
- Assessment & Treatment of Suicidality, MI, CFT, Trauma informed). Tutor on TCD BSS Course.
- Training in Supervision 7 Group Supervision (HSE Training) and Group Supervision. Experience in managing teams including MDTs.
Qualifications: B.Soc.Sc, MSoc.Sc., MSc training in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy
Professional registrations: CORU and ICP – Irish Council for Psychotherapy
Extra skills: Assessment & Therapy:
- Conducting assessments of children up to the age of 18 years with a broad spectrum of psychiatric, emotional, and behavioural difficulties.
- Conducting comprehensive and therapeutic assessments of children presenting with high risk behaviours up to aged 18 including sexual abuse/trauma/ acute and chronic mental health difficulties/social and emotional (regulation) difficulties.
- Completing clear formulations and making recommendations regarding risk/need and future care planning. Providing short term to long term therapeutic interventions which is informed by a comprehensive therapeutic assessment.
- Providing parenting interventions to parents at group and individual level. Facilitating workshops for young people/parents/guardians’ professionals and community groups.
- Working with Hospital teams (specifically Temple St. hospital) in enabling teams to understand challenging behaviour, and managing same, as well as enabling self-care as part of the challenges of the work using a psycho-dynamic, trauma informed perspective to prevent burnout and vicarious trauma.
- Training facilitator within the areas of mental health, behaviour management and CSA Assessment and Treatment with teams from diverse settings including acute sector and in the community.