Members login


Join IASW today

Apply Now


Social Work Registration

To practice as a social worker in Ireland, you must first register with CORU, the body responsible for regulating health and social care professionals under the Health and Social Care Professionals Act 2005.

CORU’s role is to protect the public by promoting high standards of professional conduct, education, training and competence across 12 health and social care professions, including:

  • Clinical Biochemists
  • Dietitians
  • Medical Scientists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Orthoptists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Podiatrists
  • Psychologists
  • Radiographers
  • Social Care Workers
  • Social Workers
  • Speech and Language Therapists

and any other health and social care profession deemed appropriate by the Minister for Health and Children.

Anyone who wishes to use one of the 12 protected titles will be obliged to register with their Registration Board at CORU.  This means that the Board is satisfied that they hold an approved qualification in that profession and are a fit and proper person to engage in the practice of the profession.

A separate Registration Board will be established for each of the 12 professions.  The objective of each Board is to protect the public by fostering high standards of professional conduct, education, training and competence among those registered. 

The register contains information on the registered members of the designated professions.  It will contain the following information about the registrant:-

  • Registration number
  • Full name
  • Registration renewal date
  • County and/or postal code (where applicable) in which the registrant practises
  • Fitness to practise (FTP) details and conditions (if any)

Any member of the public will be able to view the register online to check who is on the register.

The register for Social Workers is open now. The register for each of the other professions will open on a phased basis over the next number of years once a Registration Board for each profession has been appointed by the Minister for Health.

Announcements about the opening of these registers will be published on the CORU website.  You may register on their website to receive updates about the regulation of your profession

When the register for your profession is open, in order to register you must:

a)   apply within two years of the opening of the register

b)   hold a qualification

a. listed in Schedule 3 of the Health and Social Care Professionals Act


b. a qualification that in the opinion of the board is sufficiently relevant to that profession and is of a standard not lower than a qualification listed in Schedule 3

c)    If you do not hold a qualification listed at either a or b above you must successfully complete an assessment of professional competence set by the Registration Board

d)    complete an application form

e)    satisfy the board that you are a fit and proper person to engage in the practice of the profession

f)     pay the required fee

ALL practitioners who wish to use the designated protected title will have to register.

In order to practice as a professional social worker in Ireland, those who have international qualifications must apply to the Social Workers Registration Board (SWRB) at CORU for Recognition of their Qualification. This function was previously carried out by the National Social Work Qualifications Board.

Contact CORU for further information;

CORU - Regulating Health and Social Care Professionals

8-11, Joyce House, Lombard Street. East, Dublin 2

W: T: 01 2933160