Primary Care Special Interest Group
Who we are?
We are a group of primary care social workers who are coming together to provide a forum for learning and information sharing with a view to enhancing our roles in primary care across the country
Social workers in primary care connecting as a group to share their learning; and promoting best practice and excellence in the changing landscape of Primary Care.
To enable social workers in Primary Care to feel connected as a group and to represent a strong voice within their networks and in their local communities.
- To re-establish Primary Care SIG in a crucial time of transition for the field with the development of ECCN (Enhanced Community Care network) and provision of additional social work posts nationally
- To connect with social workers nationwide and explore what specialist groups have developed within the ECCN model of Primary care and how social work forms alliances with these MDT’s to encourage collaborative practice.
- Actively encourage membership of the group and connect with staff members nationwide; new and those who have worked for a period of time in Primary Care, to share practice wisdom
- Improve visibility in the community
- Develop pathways in social work in primary care and highlight innovative practice
- To create a forum for information sharing, learning and training.
- Highlighting the core role of social work within the Enhanced Community Care network model
- Developing a strong presence at clinical team meetings and educating other disciplines of the role and value of social work.
- To promote continuous professional development of social workers in PC.
- Develop links with colleges to encourage uptake of social work student placements; encouraging mentoring for students, thus promoting Primary Care.
- Supporting new social workers joining Primary Care and providing mentoring
- To advocate for career progression in Primary Care namely through HSCP Career Pathways upgrade and to represent views on same to Forsa and IASW.
- To discuss practice in relation to our responsibilities under CORU.
Chairperson - Joan Dunne
Vice Chair - Martina Mc Govern
Secretary - Catherine Coles
Vice Secretary -Lisa Daly
Non-executive member - Rashida Lakhani
How often meetings take place
4 times yearly but this will be discussed at the next SIG meeting to get input from all social workers.
The SIG had their first online meeting after a number of years on Wed 14th of September 2022 and there was great enthusiasm and attendance. Our first task was to nominate a contact person from each network to gather information on what each PC team comprises of as an information sharing piece. Further plans will be outlined in our next meeting.
How to join
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will put you in contact with Primary Care SIG Secretary