The Social Workers Registration Board at CORU have approved the following qualifications as attesting to the standard of proficiency required for registration for Social Workers.
Entry to postgraduate professional courses requires a 3-year Social Science degree or its equivalent and this route can take five years in total.
How to apply
There are two routes to postgraduate study:
- Holders of a Bachelor of Social Science degree may apply to the social work departments of the individual colleges. Applicants must undergo an interview, and relevant experience is essential or advantageous.
- Holders of a degree in another subject may do a diploma in social policy or a compensatory learning package/ assignment may be offered in order to be eligible for a postgraduate course. Applicants must undergo an interview, and experience in the caring profession is preferred or essential.
Combine an academic social science degree with professional social work training and are 4 years+ full-time.
- Trinity College Dublin: Bachelor in Social Studies with Honours. This course is open to school leavers and mature students.
- University College Cork: Bachelor of Social Work. This course is open to mature students only.
How to apply:
There are three routes to undergraduate study.
- School leavers must apply through the CAO form.
- Mature students (23+ years) with no third level qualifications must apply both through the CAO form and through individual application forms to the individual colleges. They must also undergo an interview, and relevant experience is essential or advantageous. Application forms and information may be obtained from the admissions offices of the relevant colleges, and from the CAO office.
Applicants with relevant third level qualifications and practice experience may be eligible to enter the undergraduate courses at the second or third year. Eligibility for exemptions is dependent on availability of places on courses, on applicants' qualifications and on the outcome of interviews. Information may be obtained from the admissions offices and the relevant college departments.
Further course information available from:
TCD: School of Social Work and Social Policy.
T: 01 896 2001 Website: www.socialwork-socialpolicy.tcd.ie/
UCC: Dept. of Applied Social Studies.
T: 021 4902 228 Website: http://www.ucc.ie/en/appsoc/
UCD: School of Social Policy, Social Work and Social Justice
T: 01 7168502/7168198 Website: http://www.ucd.ie/socialpolicyworkjustice/
NUIG: School of Political Science and Sociology.
T: 091 492290 Website: http://www.nuigalway.ie/soc/
Contact CORU for further information E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 01 2933160